With a wealth of experience in relation to race discrimination issues, our dedicated team of specialist employment solicitors can offer expert advice and assistance on all aspects of employment including; recruitment, pay and conditions, training, promotions and disciplinary issues and dismissals on a a day-to-day basis.
We ensure that you have appropriate policies and procedures in place to minimise the risk of discrimination and can advise you as to the appropriate means of dealing with issues that arise in relation to employees on the grounds of race including the countering of bullying and harassment.
We can advise you as to the means by which people of different races and origins can be accommodated in the workplace and help ensure that your organisation is fully compliant with its legal obligations. We can also represent you in court if you have to contend with Employment Tribunal proceedings.
It is unlawful for employers to discriminate against workers, job applicants and others on grounds of race, colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins and proper consideration must be given to these matters. In particular, the Equality Act 2010 provides that employers must not:
- Treat a job applicant or employee less favourably than others because of their race.
- Discriminate against a person because of association or a connection with someone else on grounds of race.
- Have a policy or requirement that places persons of a particular racial group at a disadvantage unless it can be justified.
- Subject a worker to harassment on grounds of race.
- Victimise a job applicant or worker because they have made or intend to make a complaint of race discrimination.