We have provided a glossary of terms to help guide you through defamation cases and the law
- Claimant – person who is taking legal action for defamation.
- Defendant – person who is being accused of making defamatory statement.
- Defamation – the ‘’publishing of a statement that tends to lower one in the estimation of right thinking members of society’’.
- Libel – publication in permanent form of a defamatory comment (e.g. in written form).
- Slander – publication of a defamatory statement in transitory form (e.g. a verbal comment).
- Publisher – anybody who participated in the publication of the defamatory statement. This is interpreted very widely.