There are many issues which need to be checked when you look to buy a new build property and so it is essential that you appoint a specialist property lawyer.
The purchase of a new build property is a completely different experience to dealing with the conveyancing of an existing property and our dedicated team of specialist lawyers are experienced with the procedure and legal documentation associated with new builds.
Some of the matters which need to be considered when buying a new build property include:
- Whether planning permission has been granted and planning conditions have been complied with
- Whether proper building regulations approval and consent has been granted by the Council
- That a structural guarantee, such as NHBC, is offered with the purchase of the property and that this guarantee is acceptable to your mortgage lender
- That there is a binding legal agreement in place that the Local Authority will take responsibility for the new roads around the property
- That the Water Authority will take over responsibility for all sewers and drains
- That a detailed description of the new property is contained in the contract and the contract plan is correct
- That all relevant rights are granted to you
- Whether any restrictions would negatively affect your use and enjoyment of the property
Time is of the essence when buying a new build property. The builder will impose a time limit within which you must exchange contracts after you have reserved your plot – this is usually 28 days. Our team are able to ensure that your purchase will proceed quickly and within the reservation period.